Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Amsterdam!

Lindsey wrote this on the beach accross the street from the Bears game.
I wrote Leuven.. you can see a bit of it above haha
Until I see Paris.... Amsterdam is now one my favorite cities. Lindsey and I drove the Smart Car to Amsterdam, the drive was about 1 1/2 or 2 hours. Belgium is very close to everything. We first went to Anne Franks' house.  It was a moving experience to be in the secret annex, especially Anne's room. All of the wall decorations Anne put up of movie stars were still there.
Standing at the Franks front door.


Next we went to the Van Gogh museum. We got to see a lot of his paintings but Starry Night was not there and neither was my favorite Cafe Terrace.

I cant believe how many bicycles there are in Amsterdam! Its CRAZY millions of bikes more bikes than I  have ever seen in my life. the roads, sidewalks, parking lots, EVERYWHERE is covered with bikes.
We went to the Leuven Bears game Saturday night and we lost to the #1 team in Holland. Then we stayed at a Hotel in Apeldoorn and Sunday morning we drove to a city outside of Amsterdam to see the "windmills."  I loved the windmills, it was nice to just walk around outside.
I have one complaint. A big complaint about Holland. I pretty much complained about this all weekend so it wouldn't be right if I didn't share it with you. On the highway there were certain areas where traffic would form. Understandable, traffic happens. I figures maybe there is an accident or construction. Above the highway there are electronic signs that usually tell you the speed limit...if there is a RED X in the box that means that lane is closed on the highway therefore that lane needs to merge into the other lanes. Everyone obeys these red x boxes. We saw these two or three times and EVERY time we saw them there was NO REASON for that lane to be closed. nothing in the road, no accident and no construction. they just close the lane for no reason. Coooool traffic signal Holland.

1 comment: