Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hema = Mini Target

Today was Dior's first day of practice. While he was in practice I went to the Leuven University to ask about registering for classes while I am here. Since most of the classes are taught bilingually English/Dutch I will first have to take "Dutch as a Second Language" first semester then next semester I can sign up for more classes. My class will be six hours a week (two hours Monday, Wednesday & Friday) then a conversation group with other students about two hours a week. I register the first week of September and class starts the end of September. After all those times of teasing my friends for having to take Spanish in college (I tested out of the language requirement) I now have to start from scratch with a new language!


I was really proud of myself for walking everywhere but now that I have figured out the bus schedule I may just ride the bus. Once I have registered for school my student ID card can be used for the bus or I can pay to rent a bike. Most of the students in Leuven ride bikes because a lot of the streets are too small for the bus to go through. Yesterday Dior and I decided to get dinner from McDonalds :) Yes with all the delicious Belgian food around us we wanted a cheeseburger. We drove through a side street that we thought was a shortcut but it turned out to be a small walkway for pedestrians. Our little smart car BARELY made it through there I think we may have even hit the side mirror on the last turn. I wish I had a camera to show how tiny the street was. When Dior finally drove through the street he kept saying I LOVE MY SMART CAR! :)

The McDonalds burger tasted just like home but the "freites" (your not supposed to call them French fries here) not so much I still love American fries. I found a store called Hema today that has a bunch of random things like kitchenware, clothes, bathroom stuff, gift wrapping, etcs... it reminded me of a smaller version of Target. Hema will be my new favorite place. Then as I walked through the main square I found a street named "Diestsestraat" with a whole stripe of clothing stores (even H&M), makeup shops, electronics, basically everything you would find in a mall :) loved it!

P.s. I will add pics on Monday because Sunday we are going on a city tour with the basketball team and I'd rather add pictures when I am sure what they are of :)

No comments:

Post a Comment