Saturday, August 14, 2010

Goede morgen (good morning) from Belgium!

Most people get on their flight, land, get their baggage and call it a day. Dior and I on the other hand had to do things the hard way. Our flight from SF to New Jersey was delayed therefore we missed the connecting direct flight to Brussels. Then there were no other flights to Brussels until the follow night so the airline gave us a flight to Madrid that would then connect to Brussels. Then our flight to Madrid was delayed causing us to miss the connection to Brussels! We spent five hours in the Madrid airport.. thank goodness I speak Spanish because there was no way Dior would have ever found his gate or even the ticket stand without me :) Also Dior and I agree that Spanish people are gorgeous, everyone was very pretty but snobbish there. I should have taken a longer look at the Spanish because since we have arrived in Belgium I have not seen any Mexicans or Spanish. I think me opening a taco stand would be a great idea.


Our apartment is so cute! It is two bedrooms with a nice bathroom and nice but small kitchen. We saw some big apartment complexes on our drive from the airport but luckily ours isn’t like that. Our apartment building looks like a big house once you walk in there are two floors of apartments. We are in a very pleasant area, best words to describe it are CLEAN and pretty. Mom you will be very very happy to know that on the first floor of our home there is a doctor!! I highly doubt we will ever need a doctor but its nice to know we have one downstairs. We woke up very early and went for a walk to find me coffee. They enjoy their coffee a lot stronger than Starbucks. I couldn’t believe there were a couple people in the restaurant drinking beer early in the morning. We also found a bakery near our apartment there were a lot of people going in so we figured it would be a yummy place to start the trip with. People were buying fresh loaves of bread and after they chose their loaf the baker would run it through a machine that sliced it. I had a croissant and loooved it!


Later day we are going grocery shopping for the first time. :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing so far! I'm glad you guys made it there safely and are beginning to explore :) if it makes you feel better I think I'm the only Mexican in Walnut Creek haha (no comparison, I know). I had a panic attack because there isn't a panaderia here. If I hadn't gotten the job in the mission my sisters were gonna be FedExing some El Nopal every week; ). Have you had a waffle yet???? I'm so excited to hear all about your adventures! Have a beer for me when you get a chance ;) love you prima!
    Oh have you gotten Skype set up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok....I'm officially getting a passport. You had me at great coffee and bakery!! LOL
    Great to hear that you arrived safely. Don't forget to take a ton of pictures, Lord knows I would have already posted a few hundred!!
    Let me know if you all need anything.
    love you guys
    xoxo
    let me know as well once your skype is up and running!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Diana: Day Five still no Mexicans in Belgium :) I haven't had a waffle or a beer yet!! I thought the waffles would be sold on the street like Mexico style at "mesitas" on peopls front doors but nope they are only in shops, cafes and restaurants. I haven't stepped in to one YET. Dont worry as soon as I do I will post pics and comments :) How is Walnut Creek?? when is your first class?!

    @Wendy: I do like their coffee but I am still all about Starbucks and Peets. I know I need to take more pics but Sunday we are going on a tour so I will def take a ton of pics then.

    LOVE YOU BOTH!! my skype name is Lorenafernandez87 haha super original name huh.

    ReplyDelete